Singing can help make routine activities, such as getting ready in the morning to cleaning up smoother and more enjoyable. Music sets a mood. The quiet soothing music creates a calming environment. A lively song gets them moving for clean-up.
Here are a few ways I incorporate music into our daily routines
- Use a song to greet the girls in the morning
- Turn on the radio as part of the daily routine
- Use a song during chores such as clean-up time or lunch/dinner preparation time
- Play background music during activity time
- Use music to teach letters, shapes and numbers
- Use music to celebrate special holidays
Music doesn't discriminate. There is no right or wrong, it is what it is. Introducing your child to different types of music builds their self-esteem and encourages creativity, self-confidence, and curiosity. Certain songs, like Head and Shoulders, helps children learn about their body parts while Old Macdonald helps children learn about animals and sounds.
Have fun with it, turn on the radio and jump around with your kids. This is one of those times where you can be a kid again and pretend that you don't have a care in the world.